- These are the terms and conditions of membership (the “Terms”) applicable to people who join membership schemes (each a “Membership”) offered by SCMG Enterprises Limited (a limited company registered in England with company number 02196149, registered VAT number GB 503 5114 96 and registered office at Exhibition Road, London, SW7 2DD) (“SCMG”) in relation to their use of SCMG’s ‘Pictureville’ cinema at the Bradford National Science and Media Museum, Bradford, BD1 1NQ (the “Cinema”).
- Please read these Terms carefully and make sure that you understand them before you apply for a Membership (you may wish to print a copy for your records). By applying for a Membership, you are agreeing to these Terms, but they do not affect your legal rights (as a consumer, you have legal rights in relation to services that are, for example, not as described (advice available from, for example, your local Citizens’ Advice Bureau). Nothing in these Terms will affect these legal rights.
- If you do not agree with these Terms, you should not apply for a Membership. If you think there are any errors in these Terms or you have any questions, then please do contact SCMG.
- You are only eligible for a Membership if you are aged 18 or older and are resident in the UK or Ireland. By applying for a Membership, you promise to SCMG that you are at least 18 years old. SCMG reserves the right at any point to ask you for proof of your age.
3. Applying for Membership and entering into a contract with SCMG
- You may apply for a Membership by setting up an online account with SCMG via our Website (your “Account”) or by making an enquiry at the Cinema box office or by calling 0800 047 8124 which will then result in SCMG directing you to purchase your Membership online using your Account. You may not apply for a Membership for anyone other than yourself.
- Up until the point at which you place your online application for Membership, you can review it and make changes to it. Please, however, check your online Membership application before submitting it via your Account as, once submitted, it will automatically be accepted and, at this point in time, you will have entered into a legally binding contract with SCMG in relation to your Membership on these Terms.
- When making your Membership application, you shall provide SCMG with complete and accurate payment information. By submitting payment details, you promise that you are entitled to make your application and purchase Membership from SCMG using those payment details. If SCMG does not receive payment authorisation or any payment authorisation is subsequently cancelled, SCMG may immediately terminate or suspend your access to your Membership. In suspicious circumstances SCMG may contact the issuing bank/payment provider and/or law enforcement authorities or other appropriate third parties.
- SCMG is not obliged to accept your application and can refuse to do so for any reason. SCMG may also be unable to accept your application because: (i) SCMG has identified an error in the price or description of a Membership; (ii) SCMG is unable to obtain authorisation for your payment; (iii) you do not meet the eligibility to order criteria as set out in these Terms. SCMG will endeavour to inform you if this is the case and will not charge you for the Membership you have attempted to apply for.
- Once your application is accepted, SCMG will send you a booking confirmation email and you will need to collect your Membership card at the Cinema.
- All Memberships are annual. You understand that by purchasing a Membership you are committing to pay the full annual subscription fee in advance for that Membership for the period of 12 months (subject to these Terms).
- No refund of the annual subscription fee for the period which is paid in advance will be made unless you cancel in accordance with paragraph 5 below or SCMG is in breach of these Terms in which case paragraph 15 applies.
- If you have been given a complimentary Membership by or on behalf of SCMG and you or SCMG subsequently end your Membership, you shall not be entitled to any refund (financial or otherwise) and the remainder of these Terms as they relate to refunds shall not be deemed to apply.
4. Membership Account
- As part of your Membership application process, you will be asked to purchase your application through your Account which is for a single user only. When you pick up your Membership card at the Cinema box office you will need to activate your Membership via the email request that SCMG sends to you in order to access the full benefits of your Membership.
- You must not share your Account ID or give access to your Account to anyone else. SCMG may suspend or cancel your Membership if you do so without SCMG’s consent.
- You are responsible for all use of your Membership whether by you or anyone else who is using your Account ID and you must prevent unauthorised use of your Account ID.
- If you believe there has been any theft or unauthorised use of your Membership or any payment information, you must notify SCMG immediately at email@example.com and immediately change your Account password by using the ‘Forgot your password?’ function at the log in screen for your account on our Website.
- SCMG recommends that you change your Account user password regularly. Changes to your ID can be made by logging in to your Membership account.
- Your Membership and any Membership card issued to you is personal to you alone and not transferable or for sharing.
5. Cancellation rights
- If you initiated your application for Membership via our Website or by telephone, you may, unless you have already benefitted from any of the benefits your Membership offers, cancel the Membership (for example, if you have changed your mind) at any time within 15 days from the date your application is accepted and you receive our email containing your temporary Membership number (as referred to in paragraph 4 above). This period is known as the cancellation period.
- To cancel, you will need to contact the Membership helpline by phone, or in writing by email or post, and let us know of your decision to cancel within the cancellation period.
- If you cancel in accordance with this paragraph 5 you will receive a full refund of any Membership fees you have paid for your Membership. A key reason why SCMG does not permit cancellation during the cancellation period in circumstances where an individual has already availed him/herself of any of the benefits of their Membership is to protect SCMG against individuals ‘cheating the system’ by taking out Membership, availing themselves of its benefits within the cancellation period and then seeking to get their money back having done so.
- Refunds will be paid back to the credit, debit or charge card used to purchase the Membership (or such other method as we may need to use) within 14 days of receipt of your notification to cancel.
6. Membership discounts and offers
- To claim the food and beverage discounts referred to in paragraph 7 below, you must show your valid Membership card at the Cinema kiosk or bar or where the relevant discount or offer is available via our website, by logging into your Member account. To claim the Membership discounts on our booking line, you will need your Membership number and will be required to pass security to access your account.
- SCMG may occasionally make additional discounts and offers available to you although these are made available at SCMG’s discretion and may be withdrawn or amended at any time without notice. You will need to show your valid Membership card to claim these additional discounts and offers and they may also be subject to time restrictions, availability and other terms and conditions.
7. Free tickets, discounts and using your Membership card
- A valid Membership card entitles the holder to the following benefits (as also summarised on our membership page):
i. 2 free tickets during your membership period;
ii. a £2 discount on each ticket you purchase at the Cinema (excluding Silver Screen tickets) for your own personal use;
iii. a 10% discount on food and beverages purchased in the Cinema;
iv. a 10% discount on food and beverages purchased in the National Science and Media Museum Café;
v. a 10% discount on purchases made in the National Science and Media Museum shop; and
vi. priority booking on selected films shown at the Cinema.
8. Free tickets
- Free tickets cannot be used for premium priced Cinema events, or for any other Cinema events that SCMG announces (including on its Website and/or on its social media channels) are not part of the Membership free ticket benefit.
- Free tickets can only be used at the Cinema.
- Members may book their free tickets in advance (either online or in person at the Cinema which is included in their Membership).
- Free tickets will only be valid whilst you have a current and valid Membership.
9. Food and beverage and museum shop discounts
The discounts offered on food and beverages and at the museum shop are subject to the exclusions applicable to any other promotions and special offers which may apply to those purchases at that time and is for the named Membership cardholder only and available only on production of a valid Membership card. The manager’s decision is final.
10. Booking tickets and claiming discounts
- To use the Membership card in the Cinema (whether to book tickets or to use any of the other benefits associated with Membership), the Member must present it at the Cinema box office or bar (as applicable). The Membership card will be scanned to check its validity, and additional identification may be requested. If the Membership card is validated, the Member will be issued with the ticket for the chosen screening and time subject to availability or granted the applicable benefit or discount.
- Any Membership discount offered cannot be used in relation to Silver Screen or Kids Club tickets or for any other Cinema events that SCMG announces (including on its Website and/or on its social media channels).
- All film screenings are subject to normal restrictions such as age certifications, and to our Museum Admission Guidelines. The Member shall have no preferential rights of access to any screenings, except special screenings organised for Members.
- The Membership card must be shown when the tickets are checked before entering the Cinema. Entrance will not be permitted without the Member presenting the Membership card with their ticket.
11. Payment of annual Membership fees
- The annual Membership fee for each type of Membership offered is available from our Website, at our Cinema box office and the Membership helpline or notified to you during the Membership application process and includes VAT. If the rate of VAT changes between your order date and the date we supply our services, we will adjust the rate of VAT that you pay, unless you have already paid for the Membership in full before the change in the rate of VAT takes effect.
- The annual Membership fee must be paid in advance at the same time as applying for Membership.
- Payment can be made using a debit, credit or charge card. We accept all major credit or debit cards, including VISA, Mastercard and American Express but do not currently offer payment by direct debit.
- During your online checkout process, you will be asked for your payment details. By completing these you are confirming that the bank account information/debit or credit card is yours. All card payments are subject to authorisation by your card issuer.
- SCMG reserves the right to increase the annual Membership fee but this will not affect any application you have already placed and which we have accepted for the relevant Membership period before the increase took effect.
- SCMG will seek to notify you in advance of your Membership ending should you then wish to renew it.
- SCMG make every effort to ensure that the correct prices are displayed on its Website. However, if SCMG realises services have been given the wrong price, it will correct this without delay. If a pricing error is obvious and unmistakeable and could have reasonably been recognised by you as a mispricing, SCMG does not have to provide its services to you at the incorrect (lower) price.
12. Lost, stolen or defective Membership cards
- Please telephone the Museum enquiry helpline as soon as possible to report any lost or stolen Membership card.
- For the avoidance of doubt, no refunds will be given for cinema tickets purchased by you between the date the card was lost, stolen or damaged or a replacement card was requested and the date the you receive your new card. You will not be entitled to a discounted ticket until the replacement card has been received and is presented as necessary at the Cinema to obtain or collect tickets and to gain entry to the auditorium. You will be able to collect a replacement card at the Cinema, if you can answer certain security questions (for example, your name and membership number) to allow staff to access your account.
13. Changes to these Terms
- SCMG may make minor changes to these Terms from time to time to correct errors, to clarify terms, to comply with any law or regulation that applies to us, or to update these Terms to reflect changes to the way our systems work or enhancements to the Membership scheme. You will not be specifically notified of such changes, but they will be on our Website. To see the most up-to-date version of these Terms, please always check our Website. No such changes shall materially disadvantage you.
- Additionally, SCMG reserves the right to make other more material changes to these Terms in which case SCMG will notify you of the change by contacting you using the details you have provided. This will usually be by email, but SCMG may contact you using a different method of communication, for example by post. If these changes are to your material disadvantage, you may terminate your Membership within 30 days from the date we have notified you of the changes. In order to do so you must notify SCMG in writing of your request to terminate, stating the reason for termination. Following receipt of your termination notice, SCMG will refund the Membership fee paid by you after deducting an amount equal to the value of the use of the Membership card by you prior to the termination date. Refunds will be paid back to the credit, debit or charge card or other method of payment used by you in purchasing the Membership (or such other method as we may need to use, such as BACS transfer) as soon as reasonably practicable. On termination, SCMG will deactivate your Membership card.
14. Your personal information
- You confirm that the personal information you provide that identifies you (including contact information) is accurate and complete, and that you are authorised to provide such personal information. It is your responsibility to ensure that such personal information is kept up to date, and SCMG will not be responsible for matters arising from errors or omissions in personal information at any time. You may update your own details at any time online via your Account (where the relevant function is available) or by contacting the Membership helpline.
- When communicating with you, SCMG will use the contact information (email address and phone numbers) provided in your Account. It is, therefore, important that you keep your contact details updated.
15. Membership issues
- SCMG promises to provide the Membership services to you with reasonable skill and care and to use reasonable efforts to promptly remedy any faults of which SCMG becomes aware. However, SCMG does not provide any other promises or warranties about the Membership, our Website or services.
- You have the right to terminate your Membership where:
i. SCMG has told you about an error in the price or description of our services you have applied for and you do not wish to proceed;
ii. SCMG permanently closes the Cinema in circumstances where your Membership still has more than 6 months to run;
iii. where SCMG has failed to comply with these Terms in a serious way and we are unable to cure such failure within a reasonable time period.
- If you wish to terminate your Membership for any of the reasons detailed in this paragraph 15 please notify SCMG by emailing us or writing to us at the contact details provided on our contact page. Your Membership will end and your Membership card will be deactivated and invalidated when SCMG receives your notification and SCMG will refund you in full the Membership fee you have paid less a deduction for the price of any use you have made of your Membership up to and including the date of your termination notice.
16. Suspension and/or termination of your Membership by SCMG
- We may suspend your Membership and temporarily deactivate your Membership Card or terminate your Membership (at our discretion) if:
i. you fail to make any payment to us when due;
ii. we suspect any fraud in any matter connected to your Membership;
iii. there is any significant misuse of your Membership or Membership card (including you permitting anyone other than you to use your Membership or Membership card);
iv. you breach any of our Museum Admission Guidelines or you engage in any behaviour or activity that is disruptive to or damaging to the Cinema;
v. you commit any other serious breach of these Terms which is either not capable of cure or which (if capable of cure) is not cured by you within the reasonable time period SCMG specify.
- If we terminate your Membership under this paragraph 16, SCMG may, at its discretion, decide to refund any Membership fee you have paid but shall be entitled to deduct the price of any services you have used since the start of your Membership and a fair amount to reflect the loss to us from terminating the Membership in such circumstances. This right does not limit any other rights SCMG may have against you.
17. Our liability to you
- SCMG does not exclude or restrict its liability for fraud, or for death or personal injury resulting from its negligence and nothing in this paragraph shall operate to exclude, restrict or limit such liability or any other liability to you that SCMG cannot exclude or limited under applicable law.
- Subject to paragraph 17(a) above:
i. SCMG shall not be liable or responsible to you for any failure to perform or delay in performance of its obligations to you in relation to your Membership that is caused by events outside of its reasonable control;
ii. SCMG may, without liability to you, close the Cinema on a temporary basis and/or close certain of its amenities and facilities on a permanent or temporary basis from time to time including as a result of events outside of its reasonable control or for refurbishment (details of which may be found on our social media channels or by calling our Membership helpline);
iii. SCMG shall not otherwise be liable to you for any breach by it of these Terms except where any loss or damage that you suffer is a foreseeable result of such breach.
You acknowledge and agree that loss or damage is deemed foreseeable either if it is obvious that it will happen or if, at the time of your Membership application, both you and SCMG knew it might happen (with, specifically, any public transport costs that you incur in travelling to and from the Cinema other than those incurred travelling to and from the Cinema within the radius of the BD postcode deemed unforeseeable).
- Nobody else other than you and SCMG are party to the agreement that is entered into upon these Terms and accordingly no other person shall have any rights to enforce any of these Terms.
- Each paragraph of these Terms operates separately. If any court or relevant authority decides that any of these Terms are unlawful, the remaining paragraphs will remain in full force and effect to the extent applicable (and construed accordingly).
- SCMG will only write and communicate with you in the English language.
- These Terms are governed by English law and you may only bring legal proceedings in respect of your Membership in the English courts.
19. Questions and complaints
- All complaints or queries should be addressed to SCMG’s Pictureville team by post (National Science and Media Museum, Bradford, BD1 1NQ), by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or by contacting our call centre at 0800 047 8124.
- If you are not happy with how SCMG has handled any complaint, disputes may be submitted for online resolution to the European Commission Online Dispute Resolution platform.
Last updated 20/07/2020