Are you interested in donating an object to our collection? Find out everything you need to know.
You may have an item in your possession that you think might be suitable for our collection. Before you contact us, please read the below information carefully.
Before you contact us
Please be aware that:
- We cannot give valuations.
- We don't usually accept items on long-term loan.
- Items will not be accepted with specific conditions attached.
- Generally speaking, we do not collect moving film footage. The collection of films and television programmes in the United Kingdom is the responsibility of the BFI National Archive and the Imperial War Museum Film Archive.
- Hazardous items will not be accepted unless there are compelling reasons. This applies to: firearms; objects containing asbestos; and explosive, flammable, poisonous, potentially carcinogenic or radioactive material.
How to get in touch
Please don't send your item to us for initial review, as we will not be able to return it.
Contact us in writing or by email, supplying as much information about the item as you can. It will be helpful if you include a photograph of the item with your description.
Address: Object Donations, National Science and Media Museum, Bradford, BD1 1NQ
As each donation is checked on a case-by-case basis, it may take up to 12 weeks to respond to your enquiry.
What happens if we accept your item?
If your item is accepted, it will be stored under appropriate environmental conditions in our archives.
It may be drawn upon for special exhibitions, or lent for exhibition at other accredited institutions. It will also be available for research purposes by our curators, and to visitors using Insight: Collections & Research Centre.
Your item may be more useful as part of our handling selection. If this applies, we will ask your permission to add it to this valuable Museum resource, rather than accession it to the collection.
What if we do not accept your item?
We are not able to accept everything that is offered to us. If we do not accept your item, please do not be offended – it may be due to one of the following reasons:
- We already have a similar item in our collection.
- The item does not meet the criteria of our collecting policy.
- The item is not in good condition.
- There is not enough information about the history of the item.
If your item is not suitable for either our collection or handling selection, we will try to advise you of another institution which may be interested.