Join us for an online discussion event—everyone’s welcome to help us explore the latest ideas in science and technology.
The next event will take place on Thursday 19 November from 18.30. This discussion will be hosted on Zoom. Book your free place and we’ll email you a link on the day of the event.
Smart Cleaning: a weapon in the war against antibiotic-resistant superbugs
Dr Stephanie Dancer
To mark Antibiotic Awareness Week, Dr Stephanie Dancer will talk about the global health problem of bacterial resistance to antibiotics. Many healthcare-associated infections are multiply resistant to antibiotics; Dr Dancer will discuss how ways of ‘clever’ cleaning can reduce spread in the healthcare environment. The talk will explain the science behind hospital cleaning and why dirt removal is so important in the context of antimicrobial resistance.
Dr Stephanie Dancer is Consultant Microbiologist, NHS Lanarkshire, and Professor of Microbiology at Edinburgh Napier University, Scotland.
This event is in memory of Professor Kevin Kerr, Consultant Microbiologist, who held an Honorary Chair at the University of Bradford and was renowned in the UK for his work on AMR and infection control.
What you need to know
- This event will take place online via Zoom
- It’s free to join, but booking is required
- After booking, you’ll be sent a link at 16.30 on the day of the event. If you don’t receive this, please contact email@example.com
- The stream will be live from 18.20 so you can test your sound
- The talk will be recorded and will be available online after the event
- Donations are welcome! You can donate online
- Café Scientifique is suitable for all ages and abilities, but some events may have adult themes or content
What is Café Scientifique?
Café Scientifique is a friendly and collaborative exploration of the latest breakthroughs in science. You’ll hear about, discuss and debate some of the most recent advances and discoveries in science and healthcare, and their importance to society.
Each event has a theme—they’ve included everything from the latest in physics to the science of music, from nanotechnology to biology.
Café Scientifique is a great way to meet new people and exercise your mind. Discuss the discoveries you’ve seen in the headlines, or learn something completely new.