Try something new, do something different! Join us for an adults-only night at the museum packed with live shows and experiments, talks, comedy, music and more.
Our July Lates will launch this year’s Bradford Science Festival. Lates will be bigger, better and brighter than ever before, with fantastic entertainment, amazing experiments, enlightening talks, and even free beer!
Kodak Gallery, Level –1
- 18.30: Hedy Lamarr Hollywood actress Hedy Lamarr was known as ‘the world’s most beautiful woman’, but she was also a skilled engineer. Learn more about her emerging legacy as an inventor.
- 18.45, 19.15: Antarctica Talk and Q&A Featuring Royal New Zealand Ballet star Madeleine Graham plus music from London Grammar, Antarctica highlights the threat of climate change through stunning choreography against the spellbinding backdrop of the Antarctic.
- 19.15: Hidden Treasures Get a close look at one of our latest acquisitions: the Fairlight Synthesizer. Made popular by Peter Gabriel and Kate Bush, this one used to reside in the famous Abbey Road Studios. Free tickets available on the night on a first come, first served basis
Foyer, Level 0
- 18.20, 19.30: Titan the Robot He’s 9 feet tall and the future of engineering entertainment. Don’t miss the chance to see a hilarious show from Titan!
- 17.45, 19.00, 20.00: Charlie Draper Enjoy an otherworldly theremin performance from renowned instrumentalist Charlie Draper.
- 20.45: Professor Elemental Fantastic rap with an eccentric, scientific, steampunk twist. Check out the Professor’s workshop, then stick around for this final headline set!
Media Café, Level 0
- Coffee Tasting What’s the science behind coffee? Come and taste the real difference with our neighbours from the Gumption Centre!
Pictureville Bar, Level 0
- 18.30: Café Scientifique Brought to you by Bradford University, this event will kick off a series of discussions between leading experts on cutting-edge, controversial subjects. This time we’ll discuss ‘Making organs: Ethics, alternatives and technology’.
- Pedal-Powered Painting See interactive art alongside weird and wonderful bikes from The Bikery’s collection.
- Doctor Who Photo Op Check out (and take a selfie with) a full-size steampunk TARDIS and costumes from Doctor Who!
- Digital Sandpits A sandpit with a difference! These sensory sandpits from Bradford University will excite your curiosity.
- Action Replay Explore our fantastic summer exhibition, and go behind the scenes to discover how the drama of live sport is captured.
Wonderlab, Level 3
- WonderBAR Claim a free beer (scientifically proven to excite your tatstebuds!) with vouchers hidden on activities across the museum.
- Robot Beer Arm A robot that can pull a pint? That’s real (ale) progress! Check it out at the bar.
- Professor Elemental’s Rap Workshop Ahead of his performance in the foyer, the Professor will be running a workshop in the Wonderlab Studio!
- Mind Control Scalextric Get ready for a racing challenge with a difference—you’ll control a car using only your thoughts.
- Adam Cooke Turn up and tune in to Adam’s latest work, composed especially for Wonderlab!
- Science Museum Group Busking We’re part of the Science Museum Group, and tonight colleagues from our sister museums in London, York and Manchester will be here to demonstrate some of the amazing science they bring to life.
- Sports Tech Caught World Cup or Wimbledon fever? Here’s a chance to get hands-on with the tech that fuels the BBC’s sports coverage, and meet the experts behind the screen.
- Chemistry Experiments Based here in West Yorkshire, Surfachem is a leading distributor of chemicals, and they’ll be demonstrating some seriously cool live experiments for you.
TV Gallery, Level 3
- Doctor Who Display See a range of costumes, props and fan collections from the iconic sci-fi show.
Makespace, Level 4
- Virtual Reality Choose from a selection of out-of-this-world VR games to explore, including a Star Wars experience that will let you feel the Force.
- Augmented Reality Cards Pictures come to life with this amazing AR app. See beautiful designs transform before your eyes!
- Dancing Dalek Make your very own Dalek to take home and keep. (Buy a Fizzbit Kit from our shop and you can make it dance too!)
- Face Painting Back by popular demand… Get your face painted, then show off your new look with our special Snapchat filter!
For one night only, four times a year, we work with scientists and artists from all over the UK to bring brilliant minds together, creating a night out unlike any other. Our adults-only Lates events are upbeat and energetic: there’s loads of stuff to do, from live experiments to exclusive talks.
Listen to music, have a laugh and get involved in our unique and creative activities. Then grab some food in our café or a drink in the bar, meet new people and share stories.
- Lates is a free event, but booking is recommended, and donations are welcome
- Lates events are suitable for ages 18+
- Filming and photography will take place throughout this event
Programming is in association with the HM Government’s Year of Engineering programme, made possible with the generous support of: